In 2021, the Lake Stevens City Council placed Proposition 1 on the ballot as an advisory measure, which allowed the citizens of Lake Stevens to indicate their preference for banning consumer fireworks within city limits. The results of the advisory vote showed that over 52% of voters from this election did not support a ban on possessing fireworks within city limits. Based on the advisory vote, the City Council has not changed its current ordinance (Chapter 9.64 LSMC) that allows limited sales and discharge of consumer fireworks in the city.
With that said, the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office, Fire District 1, and the Fire Marshal’s Office receive more than 650 firework-related calls in July each year. Please remember to be a good neighbor and use fireworks responsibly. Here are a few reminders on how to celebrate this 4th of July safely and legally in Lake Stevens: https://snohomishcountywa.gov/290/Fireworks.
It is always illegal to:
- Discharge fireworks in any City Park, Washington State Park, or Snohomish County Park;
- Discharge fireworks on federal land, including those managed by the Department of Natural Resources and the U.S. Forest Service;
- Discharge fireworks on public property, public streets, sidewalks, parking lots, or school property;
- Discharge fireworks on private property without permission, and to discharge fireworks from private property onto public property; and
- Possess or discharge illegal fireworks, such as firecrackers, rockets, M-80s, dynamite, and all homemade fireworks.
Per Chapter 9.64 LSMC, the use of consumer fireworks is allowed within the City of Lake Stevens on July 4: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight.
- It is illegal to discharge fireworks before or after the Fourth of July.
- Call 425-407-3999 to report the illegal discharge of fireworks; please do not call 911 unless there is an immediate threat to life or property.
Unless otherwise provided, any person convicted of violating the provisions of this chapter shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $1,000 or by imprisonment in jail for a term not to exceed 90 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment. (Ord. 774, Sec. 3, 2008)
If you are a fireworks vendor operating in the City of Lake Stevens, please click here for a printable PDF on fireworks municipal code information.